Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Boeuf à la Mode (aka great pot roast)

Since it was stormy and cold today, I decided to try making a recipe from my new French cookbook for dinner.  I thought pot roast was a good pick given the weather.  I started it last night since it had to marinate in red wine, veggies, and herbs overnight.  One rump roast, one bottle of red wine, carrots, onions and herbs snipped from the garden (thyme, parsley, bay leaf and rosemary). This afternoon I popped it into the oven and then started making dinner rolls.  I love making bread; there's something so satisfying about the process of kneading the dough and having it transform from a shaggy mass into a smooth, silky and springy dough.  I experimented with different shapes: cloverleaf, fan, parker house, knot... and ended up with a pretty basket of bread.

The boeuf recipe worked too:

I made noodles and served the sauce on the side:

And Brett poured a nice bordeaux to go with (most important!):





Bon Apetit !

4 comments:

  1. Great Boeuf....and great glass of Bordeaux!!!!!

    ....and most magnificient JACKSON!!!!!!
    He is just SUBLIME!!!!!!!

    I wish You a great New Year, Annette and thanks for stepping in my Tuscany....I suppose you have seen my Arabian girl Sheylah...!

    ciao ciao elvira

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a cook but I like to eat and that looks delicious!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful! I've been doing soups this winter. Lots and lots of soups. The last one was roasted garlic and creamy potato. The next one will be mushroom...I think I might take a little break here though and fix a pot roast. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new banner picture!
    That food looks so good it's making me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!