Monday, April 4, 2011

New Alarm Clock

tap tap tap ...pause.... tap tap tap

This is what I wake up to in the mornings now.  It started this past weekend.  The sun wasn't peaking over the top of our mountain yet and it was just starting to get grey outside.  It was far too early to get up. 

tap tap tap

The sound was insistent.  It was coming from the direction of the patio outside our bedroom french doors.  I opened one eye and peered out the glass door.  At first, I didn't see anything.

tap tap tap

It was a plump female house sparrow perched on the french door handle, tapping on the window with her beak.  She tapped three times, then turned around on the handle - doing a 360 like a gymnist on the balance beam - and tapped some more.  After a few minutes, she flew off.

A few minutes later, she returned.

tap tap tap

The first morning, I burst out laughing when I saw her.  That shocked Brett awake.  I resemble an old arthritic sloth in the mornings.  I do not talk.  Maybe grunt.  I certainly do not laugh. 

I think she's building a nest in the eaves right outside the door.  I just wish she didn't get up so early in the morning -- or insist that I do.

7 comments:

  1. that is hilarious!!! how cute! i am definately not a morning person either...need my alone time each morning and do NOT like to be disturbed...funny grouch that i am! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! this reminded me of my bird who lost it story! And yes it is sooo funny! first you don't know what is happening and then you realise what it is and it is soo funny!

    Thanks for letting me know i'm not the only one with crazy birds!

    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! That's so funny. I understand though because I'm totally not a morning person. Very grumpy. :) I hope she adjusts her schedule to suit yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too funny! I wonder what in the world the purpose of the tapping is? What a funny little bird LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't the early bird get the best stuff for nests? Ha,it's funny but that does sound annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't amazing to find we can laugh before being fully awake! Maybe she is trying to tap out some words to a piece she wants to write? Here's to smiling in the morning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!