Tuesday, October 18, 2011

When you have too many tomatoes...

I harvested what will be the last of my tomatoes this past weekend.  The tomatoes are getting that split look that happens when the nights turn cold.


Over lunch on Sunday, I was talking about cooking with my parents who were visiting.  One of them mentioned the tomato jam my grandmother used to make.  I could taste it's sweet savoryness even though I haven't had it since I was a child visiting my grandparents in Illinois.  I dug through my notebook of recipes, family and otherwise, and voila! there it was.

I got to work.

tomatoes, sugar, brown sugar and lemon slices
I put it all in a pan and let it boil until thick and syrupy.

I ended up with two jars.  One for us and one for them.  The taste takes me straight back to Illinois, to my grandmother and my Aunt Irene, and their kitchens.


Here's the recipe:
2 quarts tomatoes, peeled and quartered
2 lemons, thinly sliced (including rind)
2 3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar

Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Boil until thick and syrupy -- about an hour.

Enjoy on toast.  Yum!!!! 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like something I would love. Is there a recipe you could send to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of tomato jam, but I love farm fresh tomatoes, so I am sure that I would love your jam. My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!