Thursday, December 1, 2011

Red Flag Warning

We are currently under a Red Flag warning that went into effect last night.  The warning signifies extreme fire danger.  We are experiencing very high winds -- 25 mph with gusts over 50 mph.  The news stations are reporting that there have been some gusts up to 80 mph.  LAX was closed for awhile last night, some people lost power, the fire stations are at the ready, and we are picking up fallen limbs.  All those beautiful leaves on the trees?  Gone.  There was a huge pile of them down by the barn this morning.  I was in my workday rush mode so didn't have the camera with me.  The wind had swept them into a pile the size of a 12x12 stall but perfectly shaped like a heart.  Brett was complaining about the dogs running through them (it's about two feet deep) and I pointed out to him the heart.  He had to smile then. 

When we turned the horses out for breakfast, Flash exploded out of his stall into the pasture and Jackson was doing the snakey head thing so much I thought it was going to fall off.  The donkeys were squealing, the rabbits were scarfing their morning treats and the goats were running amok.  Funny how the wind makes everyone frisky.  The wind is quite cold (and forecast to get even colder) so my ears were aching and my fingers, even in my gloves, burning. 

This windy storm is supposed to be with us until Friday evening.  My morning commute was all about dodging tumbleweeds and cranking up the heater.  December is certainly here in full force! 

8 comments:

  1. Maybe I live in a windy place, but 25 mph wind doesn't seem very significant. Wish we had your climate! Shame about your beautiful trees though :( And yes, I hate how the wind makes animals a bit nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, we had several of these extreme fire danger warnings here throughout the summer! no fun! very scary! i hope the winds will blow on thru without trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay safe. I hope you dont get any damage.

    Funny thing about that snakey head, I had a gelding here named Cash. Somehow he taught my dog to do it. Now every time she see a horse she does the snakey head. Cash is since gone, and these horses just look at her like she is nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can't be fun to leave all your animals to go to work when you have those warnings. Let's hope the conditions improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't amazing what a force the wind can be and how unnerving it can be to humans and critters alike. I hope there are no fires sparked during your windstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of wind here too. Saw the damage to the San Gabriel Valley outside LA on our TV. Pretty amazing. My dogs get frisky too and love to play in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard about this wind on the radio this morning. Some lady said it felt like it was the end of the world. I thought of you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!