Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Working Woman Weeknight Dinner

I was talking to my son, Kyle, the other day and he said, "Mom, when I read your blog it looks like you are cooking really healthy food."

Um, yeah.  I'm trying.  Really hard.  Here's my new motto -- I even posted it on the fridge.


Eat food.  (real food, not processed.  If you can't pronounce the ingredients, it isn't real).
Halibut, butter, white wine, salt and pepper wrapped up in a foil packet.  Bake at 450 for 10 min per inch of thickness of the fish.

Not too much.  (portion control; my Achilles heel)


Mostly plants.  (Not necessarily being vegetarian but reducing the amount of meat.  Try to eat more fish than red meat.  Think of meat as a garnish instead of the main deal).



The quote is from Michael Pollan who writes about the food and nutrition.  The secret to health isn't complicated.  Which isn't the same as easy, of course.

Tonight we had halibut, wrapped in a foil packet with mushrooms and seasonings.  I sauteed chard in olive oil, and seasoned it with salt, pepper and a little lemon juice.  




Poor Brett.  He's being a good sport although I've noticed that on the nights we eat mostly plants, he has a nice big bowl of ice cream for dessert.  --He's sitting in his recliner right now with some cinnamon bread.  Hmmmm.  

Oh, and his birthday isn't until next week.  I bought him the rain gear as an early gift.  But, he did appreciate all the birthday wishes.



8 comments:

  1. You always post pictures of excellent meals. More plant based foods is the way to go. It's important to know where your fish comes from and I like the idea of meat being considered more of a garnish. I totally agree, portion control is a problem...especially when you are a good cook. Great presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im with Brett on this! lol! But love the Halibut! Sorry, dont like greens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful meal!

    We don't eat meat everyday for dinner. Brown rice is a common food for us and, more recently, quinoa. I tend to up my protein intake by eating Greek yogurt and eggs. I must admit that I am not a huge veggie eater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your son is right and I am impressed and Brett icecream and cinnamon rolls are healthy :) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love how you've got Michael Pollan's quote in between two wine magnets. Perfect!

    Have you read his book "Omnivore's Dilemma?" Totally changed the way I eat. I really enjoyed his writing style and I learned a ton.

    Oh and um... you might want to use a glass baking dish for the fish next time, with foil on the top to keep things moist. Lemon juice is acidic and "eats" the foil, and aluminum isn't good for your brain. It's actually one of the reasons we only use cast iron and glass cooking dishes now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are trying to eat healthier, too... and you will laugh.. I grew my Bright Lights chard for it's beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so yummy Annette!

    Agree with jenj - try parchment paper instead for the fish - that aluminum + acid reaction isn't so healthy for us. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! I used to cook greens all the time. I will do it again now

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!