Monday, August 25, 2014

Strawberry Jalapeno Jam

I love jalapeno jelly dripping over soft cheese, the whole mess spread on a cracker, sweet and spicy and smooth.  My jalapeno bush is loaded so a couple weeks ago I tried to make Jalapeno jelly.

I used too much pectin.  I made a big green rubber ball.  It was an epic failure.  I was disappointed and discouraged.

Saturday, the strawberry guy from Watsonville was at the Farmers Market so I bought a pint.  They were a bit over ripe for eating but perfect for jam.  Hmm, I thought.  Hmmm.

I cut up the strawberries, chopped up some jalapenos, added lemon juice, sugar and pectin -- and voila! amazing jam.  I got the pectin amount right this time.  Phew.


The chickens enjoyed the strawberry trimmings.

These Polish chickens crack me up.


5 comments:

  1. oh wow. I need a recipe for this. It sounds fabulous. We made salsa with our peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love a hint of jalapeño in jam! It is always a treat to watch the chickens enjoying a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fantastic combo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!