Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easter in the Garden

I hated Easter sunrise service when I was a kid.  My parents would wake us up at the crack of dawn so we could sit in the pre-dawn grey, shivering under blankets, sitting on a cold hillside waiting for the sun.  I was so focused on my discomfort that I missed everything else.  All I remember is the cold, and the donuts when it was over.


I thought about that this morning as Brett and I did the chores; as the sun broke over the ridge and filled our little valley.

It was an Easter sunrise service that spoke to my heart.

That filled me with peace and hope and joy.

And, really, that's what Easter is all about after all; love rising to conquer all.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you on that subject! It was beautiful here as well...about 62 degrees now, with bright sun. Your gardens are so ahead of ours. Is that Skoog Farm rhubarb I see?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, ma'am, that is indeed Skoog Farm rhubarb -- which played a starring role in our Easter dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was cold here but sunny. Back in my grandparents day the minister would baptize new members and young adults in the river. I can't imagine doing it in March!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the second picture down lilacs? We had bushes when I was a kid and I adore the smell. Sadly I'm pretty sure they won't tolerate the crazy climate here on the island. Your garden looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you had that experience on Easter. It was cold here, as it often is in March. I woke to snow today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our early morning services were INSIDE :-) I still like them.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!