Friday, April 7, 2017

The Bridge

There are a number of small streams running through our property.  We live at the bottom of a small valley, that opens out to a larger valley (Pleasant Valley), that is connected to a series of valleys marching down the Sierra Nevada mountains to the Sacramento valley.  We are situated at the very back-end of our valley, with steep hillside on both sides and the back.  All of our streams meet at the front of our property, where they merge, flow under our road and continue on to join the Cosumnes River.  Which is impossible to pronounce.  (I tell myself that it rhymes with "go sum this")

The largest of the streams runs the whole length of our property, entering at the back of the Back 40 pasture, running alongside the dressage court, down past the chicken pen, my garden, the house and the next to the girls' pasture fence before going under the front fence, making a hard left, flowing under our driveway (or over it) and merging with the other streams.  Just before the stream reaches the chicken pen, it passes under a bridge that crosses over to the girls' pasture and the compost piles.  When we moved in, it was in decent shape; wide enough to drive the tractor across and sturdy.



Since then, its been steadily eroding.  Ground squirrels have been excavating the top and sides.  And, we had a bit of flooding action going on this past February.


The bridge had never been quite wide enough to drive a truck across comfortably.  After this winter, driving anything but the tractor across was flat out impossible.  And to make matters worse, there were huge holes in the top, initially dug by squirrels, but enlarged by the exceptional amount of rain we have had this winter.  It made me nervous, walking Lucy and Pistol across.  It felt like crossing a mine field.  It needed to be replaced.

Brett doesn't do a half-way job with anything.  He builds beautiful and sturdy structures.  After countless sleepless nights, where he tormented himself with different designs and calculations, he got to work.



I think its pretty dang impressive myself.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. There's a line in front of you, I think. He says he's working harder here, on this property, than he ever has in his life. I believe it. If he ever runs out of projects here, I'll let you know. Don't hold your breath. ;)

      Delete
    2. I often joke that I will start a business called 'Rent an Ed'. :D

      Delete
  2. Brett! You are the MAN! PS your grass looks so green. We have snow today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have snow coming tomorrow. I'm hoping it doesn't stick and it doesn't wreck the fruit tree blossoms and lilac.

      Delete
  3. Wowzer!!! Now, that's a bridge!!! It's beautiful and will last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you send Brett down here please? The road I share with my neighbor goes over the mostly dry Cache creek and it has eroded pretty badly. We'll see what happens with it, it's not critical just yet. Brett sure is a great builder the bridge is sturdy and handsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Brett that if you lived closer, I'd send him over to help you in a heartbeat. And he would go. He said "next time I'm driving down to LA, I'll stop by..." -- don't hold your breath, we hardly ever go to LA.

      Delete
  5. And to think I consider myself lucky when I can convince my hubby to fix some fence. Brett is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he is pretty amazing. Building things... that's his happy place.

      Delete
  6. An American in TokyoApril 9, 2017 at 5:51 PM

    WOW!! What a GREAT job!!
    Does Brett have a single, younger brother who wants to live in Japan?! hee hee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, unfortunately (for you) no younger, single brother who wants to live in Japan.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!