Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Its Hard to Wait

With Tex, I work a lot with "draw."

With Jackson and Lucy, I don't have any problem with "draw."  They both are learning "pause."  This is particularly hard for Lucy -- a pushy, dominant, princess mare.
Left to right: Pistol, Jackson and Lucy
I use pause when I am walking Lucy and Jackson between pastures, or the barn, or just hand grazing.  Basically, they are not allowed to drag me around and graze at will.  I choose where we walk, and I choose when they graze.  Of course, I make sure that the spots I choose are superior to those that they see.
Pistol is in heat again... Jackson continues to be a bit confused.

Jackson has always been a bit rude.  Before he was retired, I didn't tolerate it and he stopped (with me; he still tested everyone else).  After he was retired, I got lax.  He has been retired for six years -- so he's back to being pretty rude.  Fortunately, it only took one reminder for me to establish the ground rules.  We walk; I stop; he waits for me to say "have some," and then he grazes.

Lucy is a bit more work.  We walk.  We stop.  She dives for the grass.

"Wait." I say, in a firm voice.

She dives for the hay.  I repeat, while correcting with either the whip touching her nose, or a yank on the lead rope (if I forgot to carry the whip).

She raises her head and looks away from me in disgust.  When she turns to me, I say "have some."

She understands, but she'd rather not comply, so we repeat this a lot.

3 comments:

  1. Perfect. Yes, when they're with us, they have to do as we do. Lol. Cowboy was a diver when I purchased him. He had dragged everyone around--even when we went to go look at him. We pulled up and my friend was being pulled out of the barn door by his lead rope. She was flying. The first owners used a stud chain on him because they couldn't get control. I do some similar things as you, and I can lead him on a loose lead 99% of the time. If he gets really worked up, he can still blow through me, but that's very rare. He was an orphan foal, and much of that is ingrained. It's just lack of boundaries. But I have to be really, really vigilant with the basics of graze here, graze now, not there, not now, both on the lead and in saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a horse to test the limits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An American in TokyoJune 7, 2017 at 4:52 PM

    Hmm, very interesting.
    I have been trying some "natural horsemanship" (if that is the term) on my bird lately, just to see if flight animals react similarly. Not sure yet because my bird tends to fly away when he doesn't want to be around me! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!