Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Mane Focus

Tex has a long, thick mane of burnished copper with burgundy and gold intertwined.  Gorgeous.  Unfortunately, it is also very prone to dreadlocks.  I've tried keeping it braided but even the braids twisted and turned and snarled together.

Tex isn't sure he likes being groomed.  Initially, he was sure he hated it.  From there he advanced to suspicious and then to resigned tolerance of the whole thing.  He has his own set of soft brushes, and I use grooming time to spoil my horses; pausing at their favorite spots for a massage.  Tex didn't let me know which spots he enjoyed having groomed for a long time.  But I watched him closely, and he let slip some pleasurable lip twitches and I remembered the spots.

Everyday, I go into the pasture with a brush and some ShowSheen.  I spray his mane with the de-tangler while he munches a cookie.  I scratch his favorite spots and then brush out the mane.  There are a few more cookies involved.

I've also filled a bucket with treats and set it by the tie rail.  Tex stands quietly, munching the apples and sucking down the mush, while I give him a thorough grooming.  He used to plant his feet and pull back when I brought him to the tie rail.  Not anymore.  He's continuing to learn and trust.


4 comments:

  1. It's so wonderful when they learn to relax enough to enjoy the grooming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a grand horse, he loves when I rub his ears. Well ok, not really a horse. He seems like one, gallops,prances, high steps and a few other things like a horse, but really he is my 7 month old American Great Dane grand dog. :) close enough? ;)

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like he is trusting you more and more! Good Tex!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!