Tuesday, October 17, 2017

A New Start

Those of you who have been reading my blog for awhile have probably noticed a pretty steep decline in the amount of posts in the past year or two.  Before we moved to Northern California, I was able to telecommute a couple days a week.  I knew my job inside out -- heck, I was there for 20 years.  So, I had extra brain waves to devote to things like riding and blogging.

Four and a half years ago we moved to the Sierra Nevada mountains with our animals.  We wanted to live (and eventually retire) in a place with fewer people and more trees.  My new job was demanding, with a vertical learning curve, but I enjoyed the challenge.  I worked with friendly, smart people for a nonprofit with religious roots.  It felt like a good fit.

...until two years ago when I got a new boss.  I was hopeful that with time she would get her management feet, and things would improve.  I have awesome co-workers and we formed our own little support group.  Others gave me encouragement and acknowledged the work I accomplished.  I thought I could "tough it out."  Why let one person ruin things, right?

But, it got worse instead of better.  The more I accomplished, the more I was berated.  The positive feedback I received from others was resented.  I was threatened and harassed.  Those of you who have been in abusive relationships know the feeling; the clenching in your stomach when you hear footsteps; not knowing whether it was going to be roses or fists.  I was in an abusive marriage when I was just out of college -- I recognized the symptoms.

People, within and without the organization, advised me to file a complaint.  Or get an attorney.  But, really, all I wanted was to work without repercussion.  So, when head hunters called, I listened.

I didn't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire so I was careful.  I took my time.  I wanted to work for a nonprofit.  I wanted a company with a strong commitment to its community.  I wanted their work to fulfill a mission that resonated with me.  And, as luck would have it, just such a company called.

Monday, I start the new job.  I will have a long commute but I won't be working evenings, weekends and holidays on a regular basis anymore.  I am anticipating having my life back.  I am hopeful.  I am excited about making a difference -- about mentoring staff and building a team.  I am excited about working for a company with the goal of giving back to its community of working poor and the under-served. And, hopefully, I will have energy to do more than sit on the couch at night staring blankly into space.


19 comments:

  1. Wow Annette. I didn't realize what you were going through. Congratulations on your new job. One recommendation (if you don't mind. You may have already done it anyway) but you should let the upper level know why you are leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Annette! A good fit makes all the difference. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations - that sounds very exciting, and freeing as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely freeing -- like the weight of the world is off my shoulders.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on 1) the new job, but 2) mostly on getting out of an untenable situation, and moving on to something better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An American in TokyoOctober 17, 2017 at 10:05 PM

    Congratulations!!
    I'm glad that you took your time taking the next step and I hope it is a better fit for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am so happy for you! I was afraid you were going to say you wouldn't be blogging anymore or you were giving up the place. Didn't realize I was such s pessimist. You are a trooper for hanging in they long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new job it sounds like you will be happy there. I can imagine the weight off your shoulders after the last job it sounded demeaning and stressful. No one needs that. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you were able to get out of there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I have been going through something very similar for the past two years. The constant turmoil is so wearing it just grinds you down after a while. I am glad for you that you have found an escape, I keep looking for mine.

    Good luck with the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG you've brought me back to 2012 where I experienced something so similar. I've had nightmares for the last 5 years. They're getting less horrible lately though: ) I'll try to email you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations and best wishes for peace and satisfaction in your new position. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you. Life is too short. Unfortunately, it seems that your former boss is not so enlightened.

    I had some trouble with an administrator and spoke with my superiors. Turns out I wasn't alone. The person was transferred. Definitely, file a complaint through the proper channels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When there are rotten apples in key positions, they can do so very much damage to both the good souls & the organization (and therefore community). I wasn't a victim, but witnessed countless others and was affected. For people who care, it is all consuming. I will never understand why those who can do something about the rotten apples choose to put blinders on. Glad you didn't go down with the sinking ship. Shine on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting!